May 13th, 2012 by Mrs. Batts
Congratulations to the new 2012-13 SGHS Color Guard!
They were chosen on their performance on the audition, attitude during tryouts, and teacher’s references from classroom behavior.
12 Montez K.
1 Quaneisha J.
11 Jordan C.
3 Octejha B
10 Brittani W.
2 Kianna B.
7 Natasha S.
5 Sara C.
4 Leslie B.
19 Keeondra B.
20 Tiara H.
21 Brianna G.
22 La Sandra S.
14 Alexis A.
23 Tasia M.
25 Doneshia S.
Guard Captain: TBA
Guard Co-Captain: TBA
Please meet Monday, June 4th at 7pm to get measured for your uniform and get information about guard camp- you parents need to attend this meeting. Remember I need your Letter of Intent and your non-refundable $90 deposit by Friday, May 25th. Make checks payable to SG Band Boosters. We take credit cards on this website under online payments. If I do not receive your deposit you will lose your spot!
There will be a mandatory meeting for Guard Members and Parents Monday, July 23rd at 6:30pm in the Auditorium. Guard Camp begins Monday, July 23rd. See the Calendar for full Band Camp Dates, Game, and Competition Schedule.
- You are expected to attend ALL practices, games, and competitions.
- You are considered a member of the marching band and expected to act as such. You are required to follow the same rules, follow all instructions given to the band, and attend the same events unless instructed otherwise.
- You will follow instructions given to you by your coach, Nicole Murray, or Mrs. Batts, the band director first and foremost. The second in the chain of command is your drum major, followed by your captain and finally, your co-captains.
- Please comply with instructions they may give. Everything we say has a purpose, whether it be safety, organization, respect, or success/excellence, so please heed their words. I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t important!
- In the event of discrepancy, you should address it respectfully with the appropriate person.
- Be quiet and listen when others are speaking
- BE RESPECTFUL of yourself, those around you, your property, the property of others, your school and everything you represent.
- Treat flags and other equipment with care; roll them up and place carefully in the bag after practice
- Try your best- it’s all I can ask
- BE PRESENT!!!!! This is especially important to ensure we progress accurately. TREAT PRACTICE (AND GAMES & COMPETITIONS) AS YOU WOULD SCHOOL.
- If you are at school that day, you are expected to be at practice. If it is not a school day, I expect a signed parent note and or a doctor’s note. If you need to sit out and watch that is ok, but you need to be there.
- If you must miss practice for any reason, please contact your coach directly (yourself or via a guardian). Do not rely on other team members to pass the information along.
- I understand that there are some unavoidable appointments, but if it is something you would not miss school for, you should not skip practice for it.
- Practice time and especially games or competitions are NOT the time for hair appointments, nail appointments or other extraneous activity.
- Practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:15-7
- Be ready to START at 4:15. Practice ends at 7. Not 6:30, or 6:45. This does NOT mean you will be ready to leave at 7. Often practices will extend beyond 7, they will end when we’ve completed what needs to be done.
- Other obligations required by parents require a note from parents.
- Absence from practice requires a parent note or some other parental/guardian verification (ie. a voicemail, a quick comment when I see a parent in person, etc)
- Comfortable, breathable clothing
- Shorts or pants (No skirts; skorts are OK)
- No flip-flops/ shoes must be secure on feet (when we are inside, bare feet are allowed, but not recommended)
- Follow school dress code (no bare midriff, spaghetti straps or very short shorts)
- You will have time to change after school into appropriate clothing if needed.
- Arrive on time, ready to go
- Practice/visualize at home
- Virtual marching
- mark time, turning in directions of movement on field, while doing routine
- hum music/play cd
- visualize moving on field
- Practices are closed: not a social hour
- listen to band directors and drum major for drill instructions
- listen to coach, then captains, to find places on field/perfect drill
*Please pick up your trash when you leave any area
- Body Tight
- Black Guard shoes
- Team windsuit when cold
- Be on time and prepared
- You are responsible for making sure equipment is in place
- Pay attention to the game
- Conduct yourself with pride
Try your best –there is no such thing as “can’t”. At least TRY it!
Please remember that we are a TEAM; everyone is extremely important to our success as a whole. If one person lags, everyone else has to pick up the slack.